Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Digressing

Something to digress from all other stuffs in my life.

Hmm, ok, I think I just want to voice my view in which most Singaporean, Chinese especially, will feel a little uneasy. Hmm. Perhaps views differ with different people.

Ok, here goes. You all know why I listen to English songs? Because the different genres are wide, not like Chinese songs whereby most are pop, pop-rock, R&B, rap. For English songs, most of them are pop, rap, pop-rock, R&B, punk rock, rapcore, alternative rock, progressive rock, metal, soul, blues, just to name a few.

Some might say that there is more English singers/bands than the Chinese singers/bands. This is true, but the proportion aka the percentage varies a lot. Lets say if there is 10 Chinese singers and 100 English singers in the world, if English singers contain 10 rockers, 10 pop people, 10 rapper etc, Chinese singers would contain 1 rocker, 1 pop people, 1 rapper. The ratio would be 1:10. But in reality, it's a NO, almost all Chinese singers are pop. Perhaps you can say it is the culture, ok, then I have nothing much to say for this but to ridicule you guys in the next point.

I can safely say that about 90% of Chinese songs are love songs. This is bad, it promotes a wrong perception of love in people. People will think that love is so heavenly, so simple, so naive, so lovely. Hence, when they meet with some obstacles about love in their life, they may just be at a total loss. Their "wonderful" perception of love from those songs are ruined. Now, for English songs, I admit that they have love songs too, but they still have other songs. That's when the genre punk rock, punk pop, etc comes in. Punk songs reflect about our society, although most are usually one-sided, they give us a perspective about what the band feels about the society, in which it is good for us to use in our essays as 'for' or 'against'. Where can we find these songs in Chinese? No, it does not exist. Most of the Chinese have already been overly mesmerized by the 'lovey dovey' songs such that they have become so narrow-minded. Ok enough said.

Ok, seems like I am very against Chinese. But no, I myself am a Chinese too, and I am not against Chinese, but rather, the 'blinded by love' Chinese music industry. If there are Chinese punk rock bands, I would be listening to the Chinese songs. I am not a banana you know. Oh, I am not anti-love too, but just that too much of these creates wrong impression to the young minds in Singapore.

For that last paragraph, why did I explain? Because the government says that we must be responsible for what we say. If not, we may get sued to bankruptcy. LOL.

So that's all. See if I feel like studying tomorrow or not bah.

No comments: